The first two audio clips from my CD, “Hats,” which was awarded a “Top Ten Recording of 1998” in Cadence Magazine’s Annual Critics’ Poll, and "Best Jazz Recording" in Westword Magazine's 1998 "Best of Denver " issue. Please contact me if you're interested in purchasing this CD.
"In A Minute" ©
• My trumpet solo over a live/MIDI orchestra, showing my admiration of Miles Davis’ collaboration with Gil Evans.
"Say It Well" ©
• A salsa tune featuring my piano solo. After twenty plus years with the band Conjunto Colores, a piece like this was inevitable.
"Scenes for Trumpet and Orchestra" ©
• This piece was premiered in 2004 by the University of Northern Colorado Orchestra, featuring my former teacher, William Pfund in the soloist’s role. I’m using the MIDI version here because I prefer its tempo, and the clarity and accuracy of the orchestral parts.
"String Quartet No. 1- 1st Movement" ©
• This composition was premiered in April 2009 at the Playground Ensemble’s annual Colorado Composers Concert, although it is the MIDI version that is presented here. Another movement from this same quartet was premiered at the 2011 Colorado Composers Concert in April. Other audio clips from this quartet are on this site's Blog Audio page.
“Three for Three” ©
• This piece was the First Prize Winner in the 2009 International Trumpet Guild Composition Contest. As with my other MIDI reference recordings, I played and recorded the parts into my sequencer, rather than have them mechanically generated from a Finale file, in order to convey more of the musical nuances. The ITG Journal’s review of this piece can now be found on my blog: International Trumpet Guild Review
Bob Gillis is a teacher giving Trumpet lessons, Jazz Piano lessons, Jazz Improvisation lessons, Composing-Arranging lessons in Denver, Littleton, Lakewood, Centennial, Greenwood Village, Englewood, Highlands Ranch, Cherry Creek, Bow Mar, Sheridan, and Castle Rock Colorado.